The BFI Film Audience Network (FAN) has announced the next films to receive FAN support – four amazing films from across the globe that deserve to be seen on the big screen.
Find out more about BFI FAN supported new releases and how you can get involved below.
Utøya – July 22
Dir. Erik Poppe | Cert TBC | 1h 32min | Norway
Released 26 October by Modern Films
On July 22 2011 more than 500 youths at a political summer camp on an island outside Oslo were attacked by an armed, right-wing extremist. Earlier that day he bombed a Government building in Oslo before making his way to Utøya island. In this first fictional movie about the attack we follow Kaja (18) as she tries to survive – minute by minute.
“A gut-wrenching ordeal … a brutal single-take drama from the victims’ perspective…like a YA post-apocalyptic dystopia, with Kaja a real-life Katniss Everdeen … an absorbing and moving tribute to the courage of the young victims of Utøya.” – 4 Stars, The Guardian
Dir. Hirokazu Kore-eda | Cert TBC | 2hr 1min | Japan
Released 23 November 2018 by Thunderbird
“Equal parts incisive social critique and nuanced family portrait, the latest from Japanese master Hirokazu Kore-eda — winner of this year’s Palme d’Or at Cannes — follows a small band of marginalized misfits struggling to make ends meet in a merciless urban environment.” – Toronto International Film Festival
Dir. Lee Chang-dong | Cert TBC | 2hr 28min | South Korea
Released 1 February 2019 by Thunderbird
In this thrilling adaptation of a Haruki Murakami short story, Korean auteur Lee Chang-dong returns with a gripping psychological thriller about obsessive love set in modern consumerist Korea.
Happy as Lazzaro
Dir. Alice Rohrwacher | Cert TBC | 2hr 5min | Italy
Released 15 March 2019 by Modern Films
Sweet-natured Lazzaro lives in a village in the beautiful Italian countryside, set apart from the world by a bridge that no one can be bothered to fix. Life unfolds much like it did a century ago, save for the odd Walkman and 1990s-era dance music, until things take a strange and supernatural turn as Lazzaro strikes up a friendship with a rebellious young nobleman.
“Rohrwacher concocts a trippy brew of Italian class struggle, folk tales, biblical allegory, pop culture references and a rich vein in cinema history.” – BFI London Film Festival
What to expect from FAN support
- Regional film marketers will be working on film campaigns in every Film Hub region. You can expect increased profile and visibility in your area as well as more in-venue marketing and event opportunities.
- All venues and festivals can pitch for additional budget for grassroots marketing or event activity. Get in touch at email@example.com with your idea.
- A BFI FAN Marketing Pack will be available for all films. Designed especially for exhibitors the pack contains event and marketing ideas, copy, images, assets, press and e-mail outreach templates to help effectively promote the film.
- FAN support focuses on developing younger audiences, aged 16-30, for independent films. You can expect ideas and assets, as well as case studies on what’s worked (and what hasn’t!) to help with your own audience development plans.
- Long-term audience development support is available each year for a limited number of venues. Venues have already been selected for this round and we will be opening this support again from April 2019.
- An open submission process for the new release film titles FAN are supporting each year. Exhibitors and distributors can submit a title to be considered for FAN support at any time. See below for more details and to submit!
If you have a question or would like to find out more, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit a title for FAN support
From summer 2018, BFI FAN will support four new release films each year, selected by representatives from BFI FAN, BFI, Into Film and the Independent Cinema Office. Anyone can submit a film for consideration and we particularly welcome submissions from film distributors and exhibitors.
Submissions are open on a rolling basis for films being released from April 2019 onwards. Shortlisting for the next selection will take place in January/February 2019 and we expect to announce the next films to receive FAN support by the end of February.
To qualify for FAN support, submitted films must meet at least three of the below criteria in addition to a clear rationale for its appeal to a young audience (16-30 years). Please note FAN will only support films scheduled for release by the FDA and certified by BBFC.
- Go beyond the mainstream offer and may be perceived as ‘risky’ or ‘challenging’
- Have potential to engage diverse audiences (as per BFI Diversity Standards)
- Show a diversity of on-screen portrayals, cultures and languages.
- Tell distinctive British stories – with a focus on non-London
- Make a particular contribution to the art of film (for example a distinctive style)
- FAN can impact on in terms of audience reach and engagement
Further information for Film Distributors:
All FAN support is focussed on reaching young people, aged 16-30, and includes:
- A tailored, regionally-focussed campaign – that looks at the entire life-span of the release – developed in conversation with the film distributor to complement national plans
- Communication to FAN member exhibitors to encourage bookings and offer regional campaign support
- A marketing consultant in each of the eight Film Hub areas working to:
- raise visibility and attendance via regional press and marketing
- support key venues with additional event activity and marketing
- A small campaign budget in each of the eight Film Hub areas
- A BFI FAN Marketing Pack designed especially for exhibitors with event and marketing ideas, copy, images, assets, press and e-mail outreach templates – ensuring exhibitors have everything in one place to help effectively promote the film
Booking Now is a new, monthly newsletter that will be delivered to all FAN members. It includes booking opportunities for new releases as well as nationwide seasons (e.g. the BFI Blockbuster) and touring programmes.
Film Exhibitors: Booking Now is delivered automatically to FAN members – if you’re not a member yet, find out more about joining your nearest Film Hub.
Film Distributors & Event Programmers: If you have a concrete offer for FAN member exhibitors (e.g. talent available for Q&As, a touring programme or access to regional marketing support) Booking Now is the place to share it – submit information to be included via the link below.
*Please note we will not be able to include information about standard film releases. We will only include information where there is additional marketing or event activity and/or a wider programme available to book.