Since summer 2018, BFI Film Audience Network (FAN) has been supporting four new release films each year to help exhibitors across the UK engage with more diverse audiences and programme more titles that might be perceived as being ‘risky’ or ‘too challenging’. Anyone can submit a film for consideration and we particularly welcome submissions from film distributors and exhibitors.
BFI FAN has previously supported a diverse line-up of films including: Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Shoplifters, the coming-of-age LGBT story We The Animals, Korean drama Burning from director Lee Chang-dong and political activism documentary Hail Satan?
- Find out about how BFI FAN supported new release titles performed in 2019/2020.
- Also, download our BFI FAN New Release flyer for additional information.
For information on how FAN can support your screening, please contact Timon Singh, Campaigns Manager, Film Hub South West at email@example.com
To find out the latest titles to receive FAN support, sign up to your local Film Hub in order to receive the Booking Now email.
Sound of Metal
Dir. Darius Marder | Cert 15 | 120 mins | Belgium/USA | 2019
Riz Ahmed is superb in Sound of Metal, the remarkably assured feature debut of American director, screenwriter and editor Darius Marder (co-writer of The Place Beyond the Pines) about a heavy metal drummer (Riz Ahmed) who after losing his hearing, is forced to re-evaluate his place in the world.
Ruben (Riz Ahmed) and Lou (Olivia Cooke) live together, two nomads traveling gig to gig on an endless American tour. Their music is loud, frenzied and passionate, until one day Ruben is overwhelmed by a severe ringing in his ears, which quickly gives way to deafness. Ruben is suddenly overcome by anxiety, depression, and soon enough his past addictions begin to surface. Ruben checks himself into a home for deaf addicts run by an eccentric deaf veteran, Joe. In this world of silence and under Joe’s tough, observant care, Ruben must confront himself more honestly than ever before. But the love and sound of his old life echoes in Ruben’s mind, calling for him to return…
Marder uses innovative sound design to create a powerful soundscape of scrapes and muffles that give you a real sense of Ruben’s sonic experience and interior world; including his utter panic as he is jolted into a new, quieter way of being. Injecting visceral, edgy circumstances with great sensitivity, and strengthened by tough-minded performances from Ahmed and Cooke, Sound of Metal is a poignant portrait of a man finding his way to a new revelation.
- Marketing pack and assets
- Freelance marketing support in every Film Hub area
- Virtual Q&A opportunities with film talent available
- Advice from Inclusive Cinema for exhibitors putting on accessible screenings
- Budget for Facebook/social media ads
What is the BFI Film Audience Network?
The BFI Film Audience Network (BFI FAN) aims to ensure the greatest choice of film is available for everyone across the whole of the UK. Supported by National Lottery funding, it is a unique collaboration of eight Film Hubs, managed by leading film organisations and venues strategically placed around the country. Established in 2012, it now has over 1,200 members, including cinemas, festivals, multi-arts venues, community cinemas and film archives, and is at the heart of the BFI’s strategy to build larger and more diverse audiences for UK and international film and a thriving cinema exhibition sector.
What to expect from BFI FAN New Release support
- Regional film marketers that work on film campaigns in every Film Hub region. You can expect increased profile and visibility in your area as well as more in-venue marketing and event opportunities.
- Social media marketing budget is available for venues that screen FAN-supported titles. All venues and festivals can pitch for additional budget for grassroots marketing or event activity. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org with your idea.
- A BFI FAN Marketing Pack is available for all films. Designed especially for exhibitors the pack contains event and marketing ideas, copy, images, assets, press and e-mail outreach templates to help effectively promote the film.
- FAN support focuses on developing diverse audiences for independent films. You can expect ideas and assets, as well as case studies on what’s worked (and what hasn’t!) to help with your own audience development plans.
- Long-term audience development support is available each year for a limited number of venues. Venues have already been selected for this round and we will be opening this support again from April 2019.
- An open submission process for the new release film titles FAN are supporting each year. Exhibitors and distributors can submit a title to be considered for FAN support at any time. See below for more details and to submit!
If you have a question or would like to find out more, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Submit a title for BFI FAN New Release support
Anyone can submit a film for consideration and we particularly welcome submissions from film distributors and exhibitors. Submissions are open on a rolling basis for films set to be released from November 2020 onwards.
Due to this year’s unprecedented circumstances, we will be only be supporting two titles instead of four during the period 2020/2021.
To qualify for FAN support, submitted films must meet at least three of the below criteria in addition to a clear rationale for its appeal to diverse audiences.
In selecting the titles, many are run by young audience members for Into Film, Young Audiences and Rife for their feedback to ensure that potential titles resonate and appeal to young audiences.
Please note FAN will only support films scheduled for release by the FDA and certified by BBFC.
- Go beyond the mainstream offer and may be perceived as ‘risky’ or ‘challenging’
- Have potential to engage diverse audiences (as per BFI Diversity Standards), including younger audiences (aged 16-30)
- Show a diversity of on-screen portrayals, cultures and languages.
- Tell distinctive British stories – with a focus on non-London
- Make a particular contribution to the art of film (for example a distinctive style)
- FAN can impact on in terms of audience reach and engagement
Further information for Film Distributors:
All FAN support is focussed on reaching diverse audiences and includes:
- A tailored, regionally-focussed campaign – that looks at the entire life-span of the release – developed in conversation with the film distributor to complement national plans
- Communication to FAN member exhibitors to encourage bookings and offer regional campaign support
- A marketing consultant in each of the eight Film Hub areas working to:
- raise visibility and attendance via regional press and marketing
- support key venues with additional event activity and marketing
- A small campaign budget in each of the eight Film Hub areas
- A BFI FAN Marketing Pack designed especially for exhibitors with event and marketing ideas, copy, images, assets, press and e-mail outreach templates – ensuring exhibitors have everything in one place to help effectively promote the film
Booking Now newsletter
Booking Now is a monthly newsletter that is delivered to all FAN members. It includes booking opportunities for new releases as well as nationwide seasons (e.g. the BFI Blockbuster) and touring programmes.
Film Distributors & Event Programmers: If you have a concrete offer for FAN member exhibitors (e.g. talent available for Q&As, a touring programme or access to regional marketing support) Booking Now is the place to share it – submit information to be included via the link below.
*Please note we will not be able to include information about standard film releases. We will only include information where there is additional marketing or event activity and/or a wider programme available to book.
Sign up: If you’re a FAN Member, you can receive the Booking Now email every two weeks to receive the latest booking news. If you currently don’t receive it, sign up here.
Film Exhibitors: Booking Now is delivered automatically to FAN members – if you’re not a member yet, find out more about joining your nearest Film Hub.